Author Topic: Writeyboard Setup  (Read 11849 times)

John

• Poster Rank I
    • View Profile
Writeyboard Setup
« on: September 15, 2016, 05:30:37 pm »
Writeyboard is a roll-out adhesive dry erase board. Besides being about 1/3 less than a comparable whiteboard, it's a matte finish, meaning it can be used as a projection screen. Professors routinely use projectors in conjunction with whiteboards, so they can draw all over their diagrams or use powerpoint slides as templates for something they're teaching. It usually looks like shit, because the whiteboards are glossy...

When I found this thing on the internet, the wheels started turning for how I could put this to use: a combination whiteboard, projector, webcam/camera, and microphone. By the end, I'd like to prototype:
  • Screenshot function: Turn the projector off/black, and take a picture of the dry erase part. Re-projecting that image can "save your work" on the whiteboard.
  • Remote draw: with a web app, something to draw or type (LaTeX would be a nice touch) to allow collaborators to project onto the whiteboard.
  • Interactive projections: Like a to-do list app that marks things as complete when I draw an 'X' in the box next to it. The Camera, whiteboard, and projector form a feedback loop.

Here's the scraggly guy now. I screwed a piece of hardboard onto the wall (1/8" thick) because the hideous texture of my apartment's paint made the Writeyboard sample bumpy and unfun to write on. The writeyboard is taped up in hopes of training some of its bends out, it was shipped in a tube. When Ashley gets home, I'll have my assistant to roll it out, peel the adhesive backing off, and smooth it out on the surface.

« Last Edit: September 15, 2016, 05:33:20 pm by John »

John

• Poster Rank I
    • View Profile
Re: Writeyboard Setup
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016, 10:35:37 pm »
Installed.

I'm considering trying again, and getting the top-left corner aligned a bit better. If I'm going to do so, I have to do that before I razor out the screw holes. This would make the screws visible, but I could then press down the board all the way up to the screws instead of the raised spots that are on it now.

John

• Poster Rank I
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2016, 11:57:59 pm »
On to the next phase: the projector is in, and there's a webcam perched on top of it.

I like this shot as an overall view, but there's still some improvements to make:

• Move the projector onto a shelf instead of a stack of books.
  • [Static camera zoomed onto just the board/li]

John

• Poster Rank I
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2016, 04:45:56 pm »
This is the start of phase 2: displaying calendar + to-do list items, using Conky.

Phase 3 requires a better camera than this dinky webcam, to save portions of the whiteboard's drawings for re-projecting, and for augmented reality style X marks or linethroughs on projection elements.

John

• Poster Rank I
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2016, 04:19:16 pm »
Projector has been mounted to the wall and the stack of books has been evicted from my table. The camcorder fits under the mount perfectly, and there's room for the static camera on the other side.